Sometimes things don’t go to plan. It’s how life works and sometimes it just has to be ok. Yesterday was one of those days and honestly I’m ok with that. I try not to buy treats too often but when aunt flo comes to town, indulgent nibbles are in high demand. I woke up yesterday with some of the worst cramps and I didn’t really feel like eating. Ice cream is one of the best foods for cramps so breakfast was mint chocolate ice cream… a great start to the day! I did manage to consume some wholesome calories yesterday with a 3 bean salad (recipe below) and blow-your-mind creamy cauliflower soup.
What I Ate Wednesday
Breakfast – Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
Lunch – 3 Bean Salad
This 3 bean salad has been my staple recipe for the last couple months. I make it at least once a week because it’s quick and easy to make and it’s so versatile. Here are a few of the ways I’ve had this 3 bean salad:
- Switch up the beans in the recipe – I’ve swapped the kidney beans out for black eye peas or cannellini beans
- Swap out pepper colors – I buy a 3 pack of colored peppers (red, orange, yellow) and I use a different pepper each time I make the salad. Red or orange peppers are my favorite.
- Add some precooked brown rice (<- the rice I use)
- Use the 3 bean salad as a topping/base in a soft taco
- Add to the top of a salad
- Top with ranch dressing
It’s been great to pack up and take along for a picnic lunch or for lunches at work. We had some for lunch when we went to Shenandoah National Park last weekend.
It tastes pretty good right after making it, but to get the full flavors, it really needs to marinate in the fridge overnight. Once the flavors of the dressing have soaked in, this 3 bean salad is extremely addicting.
Here’s the recipe if you want to give it a try!
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can Light Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can Sweet Corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 Bell Pepper (red or orange has best flavor)
- 1/2 of a small-medium size onion, chopped
- 5 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 3/4 tsp of Italian Seasonings or 1 tsp of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Sprinkle of freshly ground pepper
- 1. Drain and rinse 3 cans of beans and 1 can of sweet corn.
- 2. Add all ingredients to a medium size bowl and mix together thoroughly.
- 3. Cover and let marinate overnight.
- 4. Enjoy!
Snack – York Peppermint Patties
Dinner – Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Gimme Some Oven
I was actually blown away by this cauliflower soup recipe. I didn’t think it was possible for a cauliflower soup to have so much depth and flavor but it did. This is now one of my favorite soup recipes! I switched out the milk for almond milk, added a bunch of extra spices, and topped with sprinkles of paprika to excite the soup even more.
This was so good and not at all cauliflower tasting if you think that’s something that will turn you off. I asked Brady to guess what the soup was and he thought it was potato soup. Yay for sneaky veggies! Ha.
Tuesday was a 5/10 for nutrition but it could have been worse considering the way I was feeling so I don’t really feel bad about it. Let me know if you try out the 3 bean salad!
Kitten pic just because. I <3 my Maisie.
What are your favorite food blogs?
What’s your go to indulgence when your hormones are sabotaging you?
Did you or your kids go trick-or-treating last night?
Linking with Amanda from Running with Spoons.